1 pound riced cauliflower
1 pound ground beef
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1½ cups store-bought roasted tomato salsa
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon chili powder
Freshly ground black pepper
4 large eggs, whisked
6 cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, thinly sliced crosswise (optional)
¼ cup fresh cilantro, lightly packed
1) Got riced cauliflower? If not, cut up a small cauliflower into uniform-size pieces, and pulse ’em in a food processor until the size of rice grains.
2) Preheat the oven to 350°F with the rack in the middle. Heat a large, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef when the pan is hot.
3) Break up the meat with a spatula. Cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 min or until it’s no longer pink.
4) Add the onion and bell pepper. Cook for 5 min until softened.
5) Add the riced cauliflower and stir to combine. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for 1 min or until fragrant.
6) Pour in the salsa, and add the oregano and chili powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7) Remove the skillet from the heat, and pour in the whisked eggs. Gently stir to incorporate, and smooth the top of the casserole with a spatula.
8) Top with the sliced tomatoes (cut-side up) and hot pepper, if using. Put the skillet in the oven.
9) Cook for 40 to 45 min or until the eggs are set and browned on the edges. Rest for 5 min, and top with cilantro. Slice and serve.
Credit: Nom Nom Paleo – Michelle Tam and Rachel Zamouski Wemple, Registered Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Educator, Consultant, Disease Manager